Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] [BIP Draft] Allow zero value OP_RETURN in Payment Protocol

From: Pieter Wuille <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 18:16:30 +0100

On Feb 2, 2016 18:04, "Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev" <
[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 09:44:48AM -0800, Toby Padilla via bitcoin-dev
wrote:
> > I really don't like the idea of policing other people's use of the
> > protocol. If a transaction pays its fee and has a greater than dust
value,
> > it makes no sense to object to it.
>
> I'll point out that getting a BIP for a feature is *not* a hard
> requirement for deployment. I'd encourage you to go write up your BIP
> document, give it a non-numerical name for ease of reference, and lobby
> wallet vendors to implement it.
>
> While I'll refrain from commenting on whether or not I think the feature
> itself is a good idea, I really don't want people to get the impression
> that we're gatekeepers for how people choose use Bitcoin.

I'll go further: whatever people have commented here and elsewhere about
this feature (myself included) are personal opinions on the feature itself,
in the hope you take the concerns into account.

These comments are not a judgement on whether this should be accepted as a
BIP. Specifically, the BIP editor should accept a BIP even if he personally
dislikes the ideas in it, when the criteria are satisfied.

Beyond that, having a BIP accepted does not mean wallets have to implement
it. That's up to the individual wallet authors/maintainers.

-- 
Pieter