Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Payment Protocol: BIP 70, 71, 72

From: Pieter Wuille <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 23:49:00 +0200

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Mike Hearn <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> My concerns here are:
>> * Making sure wallet applications can function without supporting the
>> P2P protocol (which drops a huge implementation overhead for simple -
>> perhaps hardware-based - wallets)
>
>
> How would such wallets get transactions into their wallet in the first
> place?

By connecting to some other client, presumably. Have a small hardware
client that is able to do payments via NFC/QR/... directly with a
merchant, and can get 'recharged' by connecting with your desktop
client, for example. Maybe too futuristic to be a concern, but it
nicely illustrates how doing direct sender-to-receiver negotiation can
help decoupling tasks.

> I don't really have a strong opinion either way, but doing more work to
> prevent transactions being announced to the network feels weird.

Ok.

-- 
Pieter