Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Coinbase reallocation to discourage Finney attacks

From: Pieter Wuille <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 17:41:26 +0200

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Kevin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I have some questions:
> 1.  How can we work towards solving the double-spending problem?

We have this awesome technology that solves the double-spending
problem. It's called a blockchain. Of course, it only works when
transactions are actually in a block.

This issue is about double-spending preventing before they're
confirmed. This is (and has always been) just a best-effort mechanism
in the network.

> 2.  Is it possible to "scan" for double-spending and correct it?

That is what is being proposed here, by introducing a mechanism where
miners can vote to penalize other miners if they seem to allow (too
many?) double spends.

> 3.  Is the network at large not secure enough?

Not very relevant.

-- 
Pieter