Subject: [bitcoin-dev] Start time for BIP141 (segwit)

From: Pieter Wuille <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 16:31:55 +0200

Hello all,

We're getting ready for Bitcoin Core's 0.13.1 release - the first one
to include segregated witness (BIP 141, 143, 144, 145) for Bitcoin
mainnet, after being extensively tested on testnet and in other
software. Following the BIP9 recommendation [1] to set the versionbits
start time a month in the future and discussion in the last IRC
meeting [2], I propose we set BIP 141's start time to November 15,
2016, 0:00 UTC (unix time 1479168000).

Note that this is just a lower bound on the time when the versionbits
signalling can begin. Activation on the network requires:
(1) This date to pass
(2) A full retarget window of 2016 blocks with 95% signalling the
version bit (bit 1 for BIP141)
(3) A fallow period consisting of another 2016 blocks.

  [1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0009.mediawiki
  [2] http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2016/bitcoin-core-dev.2016-10-13-19.04.log.html

Cheers,

-- 
Pieter