Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] bitcoin-dev Digest, Vol 102, Issue 20

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 06:47:15 +0000

On Wednesday, November 8, 2023, <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> delvingbitcoin.org is something I setup; it's a self-hosted discourse
> instance.

nice.

> For what it's worth, I think (discourse) forums have significant
> advantages over email for technical discussion:
>
>  * much better markup: you can write LaTeX for doing maths,

i love this aspect of discourse, but in all seriousness if
you are relying exclusively on "web interfaces" for standard
development of something as significant as bitcoin then there
is something very very wrong.

there is a reason why the linux kernel is hosted and run
(patches) entirely via email.

you *cannot* assume that every contributor will have permanent
24x7 high bandwidth internet.  i am currentl operating solely
off of a *mobile* LTE/WIFI dongle for example.  it is PAYG
*not* a contract.  service is adversely affected by weather
conditions and an "always-on web interface" is a serious
problem.

please please everyone: for goodness sake don't assume every
contributor will have real-time permanent high-quality
gigabit-speed internet just because in your country you happen
to have that, ok?

if you want graphs/maths you can use texstudio then
*commit the latex into a git repository* or upload it
somewhere online or ask someone to do so on your behalf.

(i run libre-soc.org entirely self-hosted and made sure
*all* resources are in git. mailing list (public-inbox - git),
wiki (ikiwiki - git), bugtracker is the only one (i considered
fossil and bugseverywhere)

ah! i forgot! of course, there is fossil!
https://opensource.com/article/20/11/fossil

l.

-- 
---
crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68