Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Why Satoshi's temporary anti-spam measure isn't temporary

From: Raystonn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:25:28 -0700

Russ, do you have time to get started on your list?  It would add value.

On 30 Jul 2015 5:15 pm, Milly Bitcoin via bitcoin-dev <[email-masked]> wrote:

These are the types of things I have been discussing in relation to a
process:

-A list of metrics
-A Risk analysis of the baseline system.  Bitcoin as it is now.
-Mitigation strategies for each risk.
-A set of goals.
-A Road map for each goal that lists the changes or possible avenues to
achieve that goal.

Proposed changes would be measured against the same metrics and a risk
analysis done so it can be compared with the baseline.

For example, the block size debate would be discussed in the context of
a road map related to a goal of increase scaling.  One of the metrics
would be a decentralization metric.  (A framework for a decentralization
metric is at
http://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/pnorris/Acrobat/stm103%20articles/Schneider_Decentralization.pdf).
Cost would be one aspect of the decentralization metric.

Russ

On 7/30/2015 7:33 PM, Eric Lombrozo via bitcoin-dev wrote:
>
>> On Jul 30, 2015, at 5:29 AM, Gavin <[email-masked]
>> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>>
>> it is hard to have a rational conversation about that when even simple
>> questions like 'what is s reasonable cost to run a full node' are met
>> with silence.
>
> Some of the risks are pretty hard to quantify. But I think this misses
> the bigger point - it very well *might* be possible to safely raise this
> limit or even get rid of it by first fixing some serious issues with the
> protocol. But over six years into the project and these issues continue
> to be all-but-ignored by most of the community (including at least a few
> core developers). I don’t think it’s really a matter of whether we agree
> on whether it’s good to raise the block size limit, Gavin. I think it’s
> a matter of a difference in priorities.
>
> - Eric
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>

_______________________________________________
bitcoin-dev mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev