Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] [Mempool spam] Should we as developers reject non-standard Taproot transactions from full nodes?

From: Ali Sherief <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 01:43:09 +0000

Hey guys,

I'm more of the opinion that if this particular format the spam transactions are using is addressed, it will not only cause the mempool to relax, but it will also give us time to regroup and work on Layer 2 before the next onslaught of spam transactions using a (slightly) different format begins.

-Ali

On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 3:02 AM, Peter Todd <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 08, 2023 at 06:37:34PM -0400, Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev wrote:
>> Action should have been taken months ago. Spam filtration has been a
>> standard part of Bitcoin Core since day 1. It's a mistake that the existing
>> filters weren't extended to Taproot transactions. We can address that, or
>> try a more narrow approach like OP_RETURN (ie, what "Ordisrespector" does).
>> Since this is a bugfix, it doesn't really even need to wait for a major
>> release.
>
> Miners are making millions of dollars from these inscription transactions.
> Miners can and do run their own nodes and interconnect to each other. Many
> people like myself will continue to run nodes that do not attempt to block
> inscriptions. And of course, the current flood of BRC-20 transactions embed
> very little data in the chain per transaction and could easily be adapted to
> use OP_RETURN or any number of other data embedding schemes; if they were
> modified to embed no data at all they wouldn't be much smaller, and I'm sure
> you'd still be complaining that they were spam.
>
> --
> https://petertodd.org 'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org