Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Proposal: Full-RBF in Bitcoin Core 24.0

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 12:52:07 -0500

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 08:51:46AM -0800, Jeremy via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Small idea:
> 
> ease into getting rid of full-rbf by keeping the flag working, but make
> enforcement of non-replaceability something that happens n seconds after
> first seen.
> 
> this reduces the ability to partition the mempools by broadcasting
> irreplaceable conflicts all at once, and slowly eases clients off of
> relying on non-RBF.
> 
> we might start with 60 seconds, and then double every release till we get
> to 600 at which point we disable it.

Making replacability turn on _after_ an expiry time is reached has been
suggested before, IIRC by Matt Corallo. However I believe the approach of
enabling full-rbf _until_ a time is reached is clever and novel.

I'd suggest doing both at once. Long-running txs are certainly useful. But if a
tx hasn't been mined in a few blocks, it certainly can't be relied on for
zeroconf.

-- 
https://petertodd.org 'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org