Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin covenants are inevitable

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 19:22:40 -0400

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 12:23:40PM -0400, Alex Lee via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> > > Those who never transact, never realize any benefit.
> >
> > While that's true, its not relevant and basically a red herring. You need
> > to compare those who transact often and rarely hold, to those who hold a
> > lot but rarely transact. Its not helpful to consider those who throw their
> > bitcoin into a bottomless pit and never retrieve them.
> >
> 
> There are legitimate uses for burning bitcoin, speaking of bottomless pits.
> I would avoid confusing velocity metrics with utility, as these aren't the
> same thing.

All the legitimate uses for burning bitcoin are _not_ done via a "bottomless
pit": they're done with transactions proving that the bitcoin has actually been
burnt.  And the value obtained by burning BTC in those scenarios is affected by
tx fees and inflation just as much as any other tx.

-- 
https://petertodd.org 'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org