Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP Proposal: Wallet Labels Export Format

From: Brandon Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 08:57:41 -0700

On 2022-08-24 (Wed) at 11:18:43 +0200, Craig Raw via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> I would like to propose a BIP that specifies a format for the export and
> import of labels from a wallet. While transferring access to funds across
> wallet applications has been made simple through standards such as BIP39,
> wallet labels remain siloed and difficult to extract despite their value,
> particularly in a privacy context.

I like the idea of standardizing the transfer of this valuable
information.

> The proposed format is a simple two column CSV file, with the reference to
> a transaction, address, input or output in the first column, and the label
> in the second column. CSV was chosen for its wide accessibility, especially
> to users without specific technical expertise. Similarly, the CSV file may
> be compressed using the ZIP format, and optionally encrypted using AES.

It seems like the format would be more useful if it also included
descriptors so that a single file could be used to transfer a wallet. I
think such an addition would improve usability for advanced users who
might have many such CSVs to manage, and would then be able to more
easily select between them. Descriptor,Label pairs could also be useful
in the format for the transfer of a wallet with several sub accounts.

Thanks,

--Brandon