Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] [Mempool spam] Should we as developers reject non-standard Taproot transactions from full nodes?

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 00:02:51 +0000

On Mon, May 08, 2023 at 06:37:34PM -0400, Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Action should have been taken months ago. Spam filtration has been a
> standard part of Bitcoin Core since day 1. It's a mistake that the existing
> filters weren't extended to Taproot transactions. We can address that, or
> try a more narrow approach like OP_RETURN (ie, what "Ordisrespector" does).
> Since this is a bugfix, it doesn't really even need to wait for a major
> release.

Miners are making millions of dollars from these inscription transactions.
Miners can and do run their own nodes and interconnect to each other. Many
people like myself will continue to run nodes that do not attempt to block
inscriptions. And of course, the current flood of BRC-20 transactions embed
very little data in the chain per transaction and could easily be adapted to
use OP_RETURN or any number of other data embedding schemes; if they were
modified to embed no data at all they wouldn't be much smaller, and I'm sure
you'd still be complaining that they were spam.

-- 
https://petertodd.org 'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org