Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Future of the bitcoin-dev mailing list

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 22:59:54 +0000

On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 11:41:59AM -0800, Christopher Allen via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> As Bitcoin-Core already uses GitHub, another possibility is to use the new
> GitHub discussions feature. We increasingly have been using this at
> Blockchain Commons as everyone is using already using GitHub. We have also
> created some GitHub actions to backup discussions so that GitHub will not
> be a central point of failure -should be possible to create a static page
> archive using GitHub pages (but have not had budget for that).
> 
> For instance, here is the GitHub discussion area for wallet developers
> working together on Bitcoin wallet interoperability specifications:
> https://github.com/BlockchainCommons/Gordian-Developer-Community

Strong NACK.

bitcoin-dev should be independent of Bitcoin Core.

Also, a very useful thing that a mailing list does that GitHub does not is
cryptographic signatures, both obvious like PGP, and less obvious like DKIM. We
should not be moving even more discussion to mediums where authors aren't
properly signing their messages.

The user experience of GitHub and similar web forums is poor too. It's much
nicer to be able to reply to messages offline, asyncronously, regardless of
whether or not you happen to have a good internet connection at the time.

-- 
https://petertodd.org 'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org