Subject: Re: [bitcoindev] Post Quantum Signatures and Scaling Bitcoin

From: Brandon Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2025 11:43:31 -0700

Hi Ethan,

Interesting idea for bringing PQ cryptography to bitcoin without
sacrificing throughput or IBD cost.

On 2025-04-04 (Fri) at 12:29:46 -0400, Ethan Heilman wrote:
> Such a system would present scaling issues for the mempool because
> prior to aggregation and compression, these transactions would be 2kb
> to 100kb in size and there would be a lot more of them. It is likely
> parties producing large numbers of transactions would want to
> pre-aggregate and compress them in one big many input, many output
> transactions. Aggregating prior to the miner may have privacy benefits
> but also scalability benefits as it would enable cut-throughs and very
> cheap consolidation transactions. ~87/txns a second does not include
> these additional scalability benefits.

I'm curious your thoughts on the long term incentive changes for node
runners of such a scheme.

Currently, running a node in full relay vs. blocks only isn't a
significant resource difference. Only the smallest of nodes operate in
blocks only mode afaik. With a scheme like this, the delta would expand
significantly, potentially weakening the transaction relay network.

Such a disjunction between the cost of transaction verification during
relay vs. during block validation also represents a further externality
imposed on node runners which is not compensated (as node runners do not
gain fees for verifying and relaying transactions, and their primary
benefit comes in the form of finality by verifying blocks).

All the best,

-- 
--Brandon

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/Z_AoU94vMDskLJ4Z%40console.