Subject: Re: [bitcoindev] RBFR makes the CPFP carve-out obsolete with cluster mempool, without upgrading LN nodes; TRUC/V3 does not

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2024 11:29:04 +0000

On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 12:08:28PM -1000, David A. Harding wrote:
> > Frankly, unless you can point to actual "significant discussion and
> > analysis"
> > of the idea, it's dishonest and toxic of you to portray it as such as
> > you
> > should know better.
> 
> I'm sorry you've been unable to keep up with protocol development and
> are confusing that for me being dishonest and toxic.  May I suggest you
> subscribe to the weekly Optech newsletter?  It's free.

Ironically, while toxicly and dishonestly accusing me of being "unable to keep
up with protocol developments", you proved I was in fact quite aware of imbued
TRUC around the same time it got it's mention in Optech, and was even involved
in the short discussion of it.

Anyway, I'll stand by my earlier comment: the fact is the imbued TRUC proposals
are currently dead, and never received significant discussion and analysis. I
did forget about the fact that a draft pull-req was made. But that pull-req was
a mere draft and the author has abandoned it without responding to critique,
and only a few weeks after authoring it, even said on Feb 28 that "I would also
prefer to not merge the imbued v3 patch.":

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/29319#issuecomment-1969122250

...and one of the LN maintainers queried explicitly argued against it, saying,
among other things, "I'm not a fan of merging hacky, temporary code into
bitcoin core to be honest.":

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/29319#issuecomment-1968709925

Notice how that's an issue where I commented something like a half dozen times,
including after the author of imbued TRUC gave up on it.

-- 
https://petertodd.org 'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/Zp%2BUAAtYDBqcgzEd%40petertodd.org.