Subject: Re: [bitcoindev] Proposal to solve the spam war: configurable data blob relay policy

From: Jonathan Voss <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2025 09:51:27 -0700 (PDT)

My understanding is that Citrea is using a ZKP proof to recover from an 
invalid protocol state. Whatever data gets into the blockchain, the onus is 
on the Citrea-compatible nodes to do the actual validation -- Bitcoin 
itself has no part in this other than distributing the data. Adding a new 
relay service for promulgating data that is provably committed to in an 
OP_RETURN would not be a significant additional burden to the L2 protocol 
if this additional relay service is adopted by a sufficient proportion of 
nodes, and L2 protocol participants would have an incentive to run this new 
relay service for their own benefit, so they would likely already have the 
data cached by the time the transaction is confirmed. I don't have any hard 
numbers on this, but my conjecture is that L2 protocols would run enough 
relays themselves for the system to be viable, and the clear segregation 
between arbitrary data ephemerally cached and monetary data permanently 
stored will be enough incentive for many node operators to also adopt it.

On Tuesday, May 27, 2025 at 12:05:51 PM UTC-4 Russell O'Connor wrote:

> On Sat, May 24, 2025 at 5:33 PM Jonathan Voss <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> However, the recent discussion premised upon Citrea's Clementine Bridge 
>> evidences primarily that the relaying capabilities of the Bitcoin network 
>> itself are sufficiently useful for L2 designers that there is an incentive 
>> to bypass standardness restrictions for the sake of reliably promulgating 
>> data -- at least in the case of Citrea, they say they need to quickly and 
>> widely disseminate 140+ bytes of arbitrary ZKP data to recover from an 
>> invalid protocol state, and the utility of that ZKP data very quickly 
>> decreases after it has been confirmed and processed.
>
>
> Does your proposal actually solve this problem?  Posting the 140 bytes of 
> data to the blockchain works as a public bulletin board because the actual 
> data within the block is what is ultimately guaranteed to be disseminated 
> to all participants.  With your proposal, a transaction with an OP_RETURN 
> containing a hash of data could end up being mined without the relevant 
> transaction ever even being relayed through the Bitcoin network.
>
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/a484ae6a-33d6-4704-8356-c0ed1e5ae376n%40googlegroups.com.