Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Future of the bitcoin-dev mailing list

From: "David A. Harding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 10:07:38 -1000

On 2023-11-07 05:37, Bryan Bishop via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> What about [...] delvingbitcoin.org?

I'm only willing to consider discussion groups that provide good 
archives, so I think it's worth noting that James O'Beirne has written 
code[1] and is currently maintaining a git repo[2] with a backup of 
Delving Bitcoin discussion.  See his post[3] for additional details.

In addition to providing an archive, I currently find it to be nice way 
to quickly skim all posts made to the forum since I last checked (plus I 
see edits)[4]:

$ cd delving-bitcoin-archive/
$ git pull
$ git log -p archive/rendered-topics/

I think some technical discussions were already migrating to Delving 
Bitcoin before the shutdown notice and I expect more discussions to move 
there in the future even if the current mailing list is relocated to a 
new platform.  Knowing that discussions are archived in a way that I can 
easily replicate was key to me feeling comfortable putting significant 
time into reading and writing posts on Delving Bitcoin, so I wanted to 
share that information here.

-Dave

[1] https://github.com/jamesob/discourse-archive
[2] https://github.com/jamesob/delving-bitcoin-archive
[3] https://delvingbitcoin.org/t/public-archive-for-delving-bitcoin/87/6
[4] Plus every commit makes me laugh.  James O'Beirne's commit robot is 
called "jamesobot"