Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] DNS seeds unstable

From: Robert McKay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 01:50:30 +0100

On Tue, 20 May 2014 01:44:29 +0100, Robert McKay wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2014 19:49:52 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Robert McKay <[email-masked]>
>> wrote:
>>> It should be possible to configure bind as a DNS forwarder.. this
>>> can
>>> be done in a zone context.. then you can forward the different 
>>> zones
>>> to
>>> different dnsseed daemons running on different non-public IPs or 
>>> two
>>> different ports on the same IP (or on one single non-public IP 
>>> since
>>> there's really no reason to expose the dnsseed directly daemon at
>>> all).
>>
>> Quite the opposite.  dnsseed data rotates through a lot of addresses
>> if available.  Using the bind/zone-xfer system would result in fewer
>> total addresses going through to the clients, thanks to the addition
>> of caching levels that the bind/zone-xfer system brings.
>>
>> That said, if the choice is between no-service and bind, bind it is
>> ;p
>
> Setting it up as a zone forwarder causes each request to go through 
> to
> the dnsseed backend for each request.

This stackoverflow describes a similar situation;

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15338232/how-to-forward-a-subzone

you can additionally specify the port to forward too;

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/queries.html#forwarders

it should be possible to forward to different ports on 127.0.0.1 for 
each dnsseed instance.

Rob