Subject: Re: [bitcoindev] Relax OP_RETURN standardness restrictions

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2025 18:29:42 +0000

On Fri, May 02, 2025 at 04:34:45PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> I don't share that concern, personally. Data storage is far more
> efficiently done outside of a blockchain (or more cheaply done on
> non-Bitcoin blockchains), and for any legitimate use case, avoiding
> wasting money on inefficient designs or unnecessary engineering projects
> lets you capture more of that value as profit. For scams and frauds,
> that doesn't apply, but scams and frauds only last until your pool of
> victims grows wise to your shenanigans.

I need to point out that Citrea, and plenty of other projects similar to
it, is not using Bitcoin as a data storage mechanism. It's using Bitcoin
as a data *publication* mechanism. What's important is by putting data
in the Bitcoin chain, we've proven that the data has been widely
published to a well defined audience of participants who would need to
see that data.

Even Lightning does this: HTLCs work because they ensure that data is
published in a way that allows others in the HTLC chain to be guaranteed
to see that data in a timely manner.

- 
https://petertodd.org 'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/aBUPFvXVhR3WoyPC%40petertodd.org.