Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] v3 onion services

From: Aymeric Vitte <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 12:59:03 +0100

As I briefly sketched here before I think that a better long term
solution would be to link the bitcoin traffic with something like
node-Tor (https://github.com/Ayms/node-Tor)

Much more light (the whole code not minified is only ~1MB), not using
tons of libraries prone to security/maintenance issues, easy to
use/configure/maintain and you don't need the (heavy/complicate) onions
RDV concepts and addresses, which in addition is useless for bitcoin

As simple as a duplex stream *bitcoin.pipe(node-Tor)* inside servers or
browsers (difficult to imagine full nodes and the blocks inside browsers
but why not one day, so for light clients probably implementing part of
the bitcoin protocol like https://peersm.com/wallet, for now it's a
standalone offline webapp but of course it would be interesting to
connect it in a secure way to bitcoin nodes to retrieve info from the
utxo set and send txs for example since it's not obvious for users to
create their txs in its current form)

This would be a separate network using the Tor protocol over TCP,
WebSockets and WebRTC, making it possible also for browsers to relay the
traffic, probably the nodes discovery (to get the keys) could be linked
to the bitcoin peer discovery system (we just have to add the onion key
to the peer profile, and maybe long term id key), anyway that's simple
to setup, and probably for a p2p network 2 hops will be enough

I really don't think that the Tor network is designed and adapted to
support bitcoin nodes, using it for something else than browsing is just
a workaround and I would be surprised that the Tor project team
contradicts this and/or encourage this use

Le 18/11/2019 à 00:42, Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev a écrit :
> There is effort ongoing to upgrade the Bitcoin P2P protocol to support other address types, including onion v3. There are various posts on this ML under the title “addrv2”. Further review and contributions to that effort is, as always, welcome.
>
>> On Nov 17, 2019, at 00:05, Mr. Lee Chiffre via bitcoin-dev <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Right now bitcoin client core supports use of tor hidden service. It
>> supports v2 hidden service. I am in progress of creating a new bitcoin
>> node which will use v3 hidden service instead of v2. I am looking at
>> bitcoin core and btcd to use. Do any of these or current node software
>> support the v3 onion addresses for the node address? What about I2P
>> addresses? If not what will it take to get it to support the longer
>> addresses that is used by i2p and tor v3?
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> [email-masked]
>> PGP 97F0C3AE985A191DA0556BCAA82529E2025BDE35
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> bitcoin-dev mailing list
>> [email-masked]
>> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev