Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] F2Pool has enabled full replace-by-fee

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 15:00:57 +0000

On 2015-06-19 10:39, Peter Todd wrote:

     Yesterday F2Pool, currently the largest pool with 21% of the hashing
     power, enabled full replace-by-fee (RBF) support after discussions 
with
     me. This means that transactions that F2Pool has will be replaced if 
a
     conflicting transaction pays a higher fee. There are no requirements 
for
     the replacement transaction to pay addresses that were paid by the
     previous transaction.

Intentional fraud is a bad thing to add to a financial protocol.

A user who creates conflicting transactions, one that pays someone else 
and another which does not pay them, and broadcasts both of them, has 
just self-incriminated themselves by producing prima facie evidence of 
fraud.

It may be the case that since Bitcoin spans multiple legal jurisdictions 
and can be use anonymously that the victims of such fraud can not rely 
on legal recourse, and it may also be the case that proof of work is how 
Bitcoin deals with the aforementioned factors, but regardless 
un-prosecutable fraud is still fraud and anyone who encourages it should 
be recognied as a bad actors.

Committing vandalism and encouraging fraud to prove a point may be 
something the network can't stop on a technical level, but there's no 
reason not to call it out for what it is.