Subject: Re: [bitcoindev] Draft BIP: Well-Known Bitcoin Identity Endpoint

From: Murch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2025 12:32:23 -0700

Hi Aviv,

Thanks for posting about your BIP idea. I must admit that I have lost 
track of the finer details of Lightning Addresses, LNURL, and other 
similar schemes, so I’m not in a position to comment on a comparison of 
your idea to those.
One of the criticisms that I remember from when Lightning Address was 
first introduced was that it would have been better to avoid the email 
format. After glancing at your draft, I would like to suggest that you 
clarify how you propose that the paysats would be communicated. I would 
suggest staying clear of the email format, not only, because senders 
sometimes mistake it for an email address, but also because there are 
now other similar schemes that use email formatting already and it would 
not be clear which resolution to use when encountering it.
Otherwise, this seems like a decent start of a BIP, although it would 
help if you lay out more clearly how your idea compares with similar 
schemes in the Rationale, in addition to what you already wrote about 
BIP 353.

Cheers,

Murch

On 5/26/25 05:50, Aviv Bar-el wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose a new BIP titled "Well-Known Bitcoin Identity 
> Endpoint."
> The goal is to improve the user experience for sending on-chain 
> Bitcoin payments by allowing wallets to resolve a Lightning Address 
> into associated on-chain addresses and additional metadata.
>
> The idea is to define a simple, HTTPS-based standard for retrieving 
> payment and contact information via a .well-known endpoint,
> generalizing the approach used by Lightning Address to support more 
> payment types and identity metadata.
>
> You can find the draft BIP here: 
> https://github.com/aviv57/paysats/blob/main/bip/BIPXXX.MD
>
> I’d appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> AvivB
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
> Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send 
> an email to [email-masked].
> To view this discussion visit 
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/CAEbZFSsA49mnsVia7L-0k9S%3Doa93nCN4KudHdK8ZnSbboenohw%40mail.gmail.com 
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/CAEbZFSsA49mnsVia7L-0k9S%3Doa93nCN4KudHdK8ZnSbboenohw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/cb2475d4-cd9c-48f1-9e63-1499e3297f09%40murch.one.