Subject: [bitcoindev] secp256k1lab: a Python library for prototyping

From: Jonas Nick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2025 08:41:37 +0000

Hello list,

We're pleased to announce the initial release of secp256k1lab, an INSECURE
implementation of the secp256k1 elliptic curve and related cryptographic schemes
written in Python, intended for prototyping, experimentation and education.

https://github.com/secp256k1lab/secp256k1lab

Features:

- Low-level secp256k1 field and group arithmetic.
- Schnorr signing/verification and key generation according to BIP-340.
- ECDH key exchange.

We developed secp256k1lab as part of our work on the ChillDKG work-in-progress
BIP [0]. It is based on the secp256k1 implementation in the Bitcoin Core test
framework.

Our goal was to avoid including yet another custom Python implementation of the
secp256k1 curve in the ChillDKG reference code. Several existing BIPs (340, 324,
327, and 352) already contain custom and sometimes subtly diverging
implementations of secp256k1. This library aims to provide a single, consistent
interface for secp256k1-related cryptographic specifications.

At the moment, secp256k1lab is included in the ChillDKG repository as a subtree.
It remains an open question what would be the best approach for including ChillDKG
(with the secp256k1lab dependency) into the bips repository [1].

We welcome your feedback and contributions to this project.

Best regards,
The current secp256k1lab maintainers: Sebastian Falbesoner, Jonas Nick, Tim
Ruffing

[0] https://github.com/BlockstreamResearch/bip-frost-dkg
[1] https://groups.google.com/g/bitcoindev/c/HE3HSnGTpoQ/m/Y2VhaMCrCAAJ
     (We renamed secp256k1proto to secp256k1lab)

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/d0044f9c-d974-43ca-9891-64bb60a90f1f%40gmail.com.