Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] 0.3.24

From: Douglas Huff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 20:05:19 -0500

My only concern is: How well have the fixes in pull 358 been tested? Wasn't there an issue with the "" account found just last night?

Matt Corallo <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Personally, I have little preference, sipa and gmaxwell fall on the
>side
>of cherry-pick, but I think it might be good to do a broad-base test of
>CWallet in 0.3.24 so potential bugs can be found in it before crypto
>and
>0.4. In either case, I dont think we should spend too much time as this
>is just a minor update release, just get it out the door so we can
>focus
>on 0.4 (hopefully) without interruption.
>
>Matt
>
>On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 20:37 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Hum, it sounds like there was some misunderstanding, on my part at
>> least.  On IRC, people are talking about a cherry-picked release,
>> basically 0.3.23 + a couple specific fixes, rather than what is
>> current in upstream git.  I had assumed people meant releasing
>current
>> git + some specific fixes not yet in git.
>>
>> Wearing the Release Mangler hat, cherry-picked branches have a few
>> disadvantages:
>>
>> * you're throwing away the testing people have done on upstream git
>> * the new branch would have zero testing, as most people have been
>> testing 0.3.23 or upstream git
>> * it would be a dead-end branch, never touched after release.  bug
>> reports for such a release might not necessarily be applicable to
>last
>> version or current upstream or anywhere in between.
>>
>> That is the convention wisdom, anyway.  But to paraphrase Pirates of
>> the Caribbean, release management rules aren't really rules, they're
>> more like... guidelines.  :)
>>
>> The cherry-picked 0.3.24 release, according to IRC wisdom, wouldn't
>> have to worry about shipping CWallet, which needs a fix or two from
>> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/358
>>
>> I can live with, and roll a release for, either (a) 0.3.23 + select
>> fixes or (b) current upstream + pull #358.  My preference is (b), but
>> this is a community and Holy Alpaca decision, not just a call I will
>> make on my own.
>>
>> Comments welcome...
>>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>All of the data generated in your IT infrastructure is seriously
>valuable.
>Why? It contains a definitive record of application performance,
>security
>threats, fraudulent activity, and more. Splunk takes this data and
>makes
>sense of it. IT sense. And common sense.
>http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2d-c2_______________________________________________
>Bitcoin-development mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development

- --
Douglas Huff