Subject: [bitcoin-dev] A Modified Version of Luke-jr's Block Size BIP

From: Andrew C <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 16:50:26 -0500

Hello all,

Many people have expressed discontent with Luke-jr's proposed block size
BIP, in particular with the decrease in size that would occur if it were
to be activated prior to 2024.

I have decided to modify the proposal to instead begin the increase
steps at the current 1000000 byte limit. The increases and the time spam
of each increase will remain the same, just that the increase begins
from 1000000 bytes instead of 300000 bytes.

Furthermore, instead of a fixed schedule from a fixed point in time, the
increases will instead be calculated off of the MTP of the activation
block (the first block to be in the active state for this fork).

While this proposal shares many of the same issues with the one it
modifies, I hope that it will be slightly less controversial and can
allow us to move forward with scaling Bitcoin.

The full text of the proposal can be found at
https://github.com/achow101/bips/blob/bip-blksize/bip-blksize.mediawiki.
My implementation of it is available at
https://github.com/achow101/bitcoin/tree/bip-blksize

Andrew