Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Dynamic Hierarchical Deterministic Key Trees

From: "Eric Lombrozo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 08:45:10 +0000

Tamas,

You could use a key for both signing and for derivation of a deeper 
level (and perhaps there are some applications for this, if you think of 
any please let me know), but the use cases being considered involve 
generation of signing key sequences from seeds that are easy to backup 
and easy to share with others to simplify multidevice synchronization, 
key management, account structures, etc... while also allowing for 
privacy by making it nontrivial to associate transactions for an account 
without knowing the seed/chain code.

As such, we generally refer to such sequences by a path to the immediate 
parent node in the tree and reserve the children themselves for the 
signing keys.

- Eric

------ Original Message ------
From: "Tamas Blummer" <[email-masked]>
To: "Eric Lombrozo" <[email-masked]>; "Eric Lombrozo via 
bitcoin-dev" <[email-masked]>
Sent: 11/17/2015 5:10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Dynamic Hierarchical Deterministic Key Trees

>Hi Eric,
>
>Would you please enumerate, or point to, arguments that discourage the 
>use of a key both for signing and for derivation of a deeper level of 
>the hierarchy ?
>
>Tamas Blummer
>
>>  On Nov 17, 2015, at 12:40, Eric Lombrozo via bitcoin-dev 
>><[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>  I've submitted a BIP proposal that solves the issue of needing to 
>>predefine HD wallet structures and not being able to arbitrarily nest 
>>deeper levels. Comments appreciated.
>>
>>  https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/242
>>
>>
>>  - Eric
>>  _______________________________________________
>>  bitcoin-dev mailing list
>>  [email-masked]
>>  https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>