Subject: Re: [bitcoindev] The Future of Bitcoin Testnet

From: Garlo Nicon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2025 03:48:05 -0700 (PDT)

> 4. As a result, TBTC is being actively bought and sold; one could argue 
that the fundamental principle of testnet coins having no value has been 
broken.

Now, some time passed, so we can look at the history, and get some 
conclusions. In case of testnet4, the same thing happened. And some people 
consider testnets as altcoins: 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5536825.0
Which means, that if new testnets will be released in a similar way, then 
none of them will be worthless.

niedziela, 5 maja 2024 o 15:12:08 UTC+2 Peter Todd napisał(a):

On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 11:46:59AM -0700, Matthew Bagazinski wrote: 
> 
> 
> Unfortunately, the current form of Testnet is doomed to have value, just 
> like BTC. Its scarcity makes it a valuable asset. And no reset will 
change 
> that. It will only result in repeated resets, multiple versions of 
testnet, 
> and people never learning. 

The scarcity of testnet BTC isn't the only valuable asset in testnet; 
testnet 
blockchain space itself is a scarce, valuable, asset. It's an asset that we 
can't easily make worthless, even through testnet resets, as there are 
usecases 
(including scams) where the long-term persistence of the data doesn't 
matter. 

-- 
https://petertodd.org 'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/f4c7991c-b053-481c-83ff-d37f9aad6d66n%40googlegroups.com.