Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] SPV bitcoind?

From: Andreas Schildbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 16:32:27 +0200

Android apps do whatever they are programmed to do. They become active
when the user installs and inactive when they are uninstalled.
Inbetween, they are not limited in runtime.

That said, the current programming is that when receiving a block, it
stays connected for at least ~2 more minutes. This generally allows the
chain to catch up while at the same time avoiding endless battery drain
because something gets stuck. Upon sending or receiving of a
transaction, it stays connected for at least ~8 more minutes, because it
is likely the wallet will see more activity.

Additionally, on the send and request coins screens and the network
monitor it stays connected for as long as the screen is on and the app
in the foreground (= resumed state).

On 07/17/2013 02:29 PM, Mike Hearn wrote:

> Partial UTXO sets is a neat idea. Unfortunately my intuition is that
> many SPV wallets only remain open for <1 minute at a time because the
> user wants to see they received money, or to send it. It'd be neat to
> get some telemetry from the Android wallet for this - I will ask Andreas
> to let users opt in to usage statistics.