Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Payment Protocol: BIP 70, 71, 72

From: Andreas Schildbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:59:52 +0200

On 09/25/2013 01:45 PM, Mike Hearn wrote:

> OK, it might fit if you don't use any of the features the protocol
> provides :)

Now you're dver-dramaticing (-:

I'm just skipping one feature which I think is useless for QR codes
scanned in person.

> You can try it here:

Thanks. A typical request would be around 60 bytes, which should produce
an URL with around 100 chars. That should be fine for scanning, but I
will experiment.

> If you're thinking about governments and so on subverting CA's, then
> there is a plan for handling that (outside the Bitcoin world) called
> certificate transparency which is being implemented now.

Good to hear. Let's see if it gets momentum.

> Now when you are getting a QR code from the web, it's already being
> served over HTTPS. So if you're up against an attacker who can break a
> CA in order to steal your money, then you already lose, the QRcode
> itself as MITMd.

Sure. I was talking about QR codes scanned in person.

> In the Bluetooth case we might have to keep the address around and use
> it to do ECDHE or something like that.

Yeah, will look at that as soon as we're implementing the payment
protocol fully.