Subject: [Bitcoin-development] Experiment with linking payment requests via href

From: Andreas Schildbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:53:49 +0100

On 01/27/2014 07:18 PM, Andreas Schildbach wrote:

>> Rather than pack a file into a URL, if you don't want to
>> use the current r= extension it's better for apps to just register to
>> handle .bitcoinpaymentrequest files / the right MIME type. Downloading
>> it and opening it would do the right thing automatically.
> 
> That's a good point. I'll implement this asap.

It doesn't look too good. I've tried Chrome, the AOSP browser and
Firefox. All insist on handling the link with their download manager,
which would involve an additional click. In the case of Chrome and AOSP,
that download manager a separate component that is not updatable with
the browser (rather its tied to the OS version afaik).

If you click on the file in the download manager of Chrome and AOSP it
opens as expected. On Firefox, it just ignores the click.

I registered the correct mime type and also set the mime type of the
href just in case. In case you want to have a look at the href, its on
http://wallet.schildbach.de and links to Gavins generator.

I didn't try suffixes, but I'd assume it behaves similar.

Any ideas what else to try?