Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] instant confirmation via payment protocol backwards compatible proto buffer extension

From: Lawrence Nahum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 17:16:24 +0000 (UTC)

Mike Hearn <mike <at> plan99.net> writes:

> As long as miners stick to Satoshi's first seen rule, which is the 
default, it's useful:
> 
> 
> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=423.msg3819#msg3819
> 
> 
> 
> 
> (this is the famous "snack machine" thread from 2010)
> 
> If they decide to change to something like highest-fee-always-wins, then 
they (again) centralise things by forcing all instant transactions to pay 
GreenAddress and its competitors money - much though I like your product 
Lawrence, let's hope they don't collectively lemming us all off a cliff by 
doing that ;)

I assume we can't enforce to miners rules about which tx will go in and 
which won't and therefore whether this will cause more or less double 
spends.

I mean, you can try but I would rather have to option to pick an third party 
instant provider explicitly than  enforce bigger rules on mining which would 
IMHO lead to implicit centralization.