Subject: [bitcoindev] Consensus Cleanup BIP draft

From: "'Antoine Poinsot' via Bitcoin Development Mailing List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2025 17:14:29 +0000

Hi everyone,

About two months ago i shared an update on this list about my (and others', really) work on the
Consensus Cleanup [0]. I am now ready to share a BIP draft for a Consensus Cleanup soft fork.

The BIP draft can be found here: https://github.com/darosior/bips/blob/consensus_cleanup/bip-cc.md

It includes the following fixes:
- a restriction on the timestamp of the first and last blocks of a difficulty adjustment period to
  address the Timewarp and Murch-Zawy attacks;
- a limit on the number of legacy signature operations that may be executed in validating a single
  transaction to address long block validation times;
- making 64 bytes transactions invalid to address weaknesses in the block Merkle tree construction;
- mandating coinbase transactions be timelocked to their block height to prevent future transaction
  duplication without resorting to BIP30 validation.

This BIP draws on the 2019 Great Consensus Cleanup proposal from Matt Corallo [1]. A number of
people contributed ideas, testing, data or useful discussions. This includes Ava Chow, Matt Corallo,
Mark Erhardt, Brian Groll, David A. Harding, Sjors Provoost, Anthony Towns, Greg Sanders, Chris
Stewart, Eric Voskuil, @0xb10c and others.

Antoine Poinsot

[0] https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/jiyMlvTX8BnG71f75SqChQZxyhZDQ65kldcugeIDJVJsvK4hadCO3GT46xFc7_cUlWdmOCG0B_WIz0HAO5ZugqYTuX5qxnNLRBn3MopuATI=@protonmail.com
[1] https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/bips/blob/7f9670b643b7c943a0cc6d2197d3eabe661050c2/bip-XXXX.mediawiki

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/uDAujRxk4oWnEGYX9lBD3e0V7a4V4Pd-c4-2QVybSZNcfJj5a6IbO6fCM_xEQEpBvQeOT8eIi1r91iKFIveeLIxfNMzDys77HUcbl7Zne4g%3D%40protonmail.com.